Steps to Take, Key Questions & Downloads
Here are tools to help you through each step of the school museum process as described in
Learning on Display: Student-Created Museums that Build Understanding (2006, D’Acquisto).
- What is our museum about?
- What will students learn?
- Review standards to determine content ideas
- Create affinity diagram and “know and wonder” charts to brainstorm content ideas
- Develop a storyline and focus / research questions for the museum exhibition
- Create a project plan
- What learning targets will students be expected to hit?
- What summative assessments will measure student learning?
- What formative assessments will help students learn more?
- When will we open our school museum to the public?
- Establish an opening date and advertise it widely
- How and when will we facilitate instructional / assessment activities for each phase of the process?
- How will we work together?
- Develop a plan for regular collaboration with colleagues
- Invite parent and community participation (word)